Thursday, August 24, 2017

ghost plant

In class with UT Professor Emeritus of botany, Dr. Aaron Jack Sharp, late 1980s.
Photo by Dan Budnik.



I carry on a tradition. Leading guided hikes is a great pleasure for me, either at the nature center or into the Smokies. 

On Saturday, 28 May 2016, I led a hike into my ancestral fountainhead Baskins Creek and the waterfalls that was once owned by my great grandfather Preston Columbus Ogle. My grandmother Pearl Bales née Ogle showered in the falls when she was a little girl. The outing had been arranged by the Great Smoky Mountains Association.

Shortly after passing by and paying our respects at the Bales Cemetery where several of my ancestors are buried, we encountered a small colony of ghost plants.

I viewed it as an omen or blessing to our safe journey.


Hiking group at Bales Cemetery

Group photographing ghost plant

On Baskins Creek Trail. Photo by Linda Hintze.

Baskins Creek Waterfalls

Hiking group at falls





No comments:

Post a Comment